- Will I be in a private room?
- We have 18 post-partum rooms and double only when absolutely necessary. It is our goal that all new parents have a private room, but when the unit is full, we are forced to double rooms to accommodate.
- Will my baby be able to stay with me all the time?
- We encourage moms to keep their baby with them as much as possible. However, if you need a nap or shower, your nurse may take baby for a short period of time.
- Where do we go when we arrive for delivery?
- During the day and until 9:00 p.m., you may come to the labor and delivery unit located on the 5th floor of the hospital. After 9:00pm, you should come through the emergency department entrance.
- What if I deliver my baby early?
- We have a 14-bed special care nursery with staff capable of caring for your premature or special needs infant.
- Can my child be present during labor?
- Children are allowed to be present for labor and delivery only when a responsible adult is in charge of their care.
- Do you have a secure unit?
- Yes! We have a locked unit with a security system. Every employee will wear a badge identifying his or her right to be on this unit.
- How long will I stay after delivery?
- It will depend on your method of delivery, but most patients are here between 24-72 hours.
- What should we bring to the hospital for labor, delivery and discharge?
- Please click on this link for a PDF with a complete, printable list.
- How do I get a copy of my baby’s birth certificate?
- You can obtain a legal copy of baby’s birth certificate at the Winnebago County Health Department two weeks after delivery.
- Will I be able to get help with breastfeeding during my stay?
- We have two certified lactation consultants on staff. Please let your nurse know if you would like to see a lactation consultant during your stay. You may call the SwedishAmerican WarmLine at (815) 489-4890 for questions after discharge. We also offer a breastfeeding support group for continued support during those early weeks.
- Will my spouse or significant other be allowed to stay overnight?
- We will make every attempt to meet your request. If the unit is full, demanding doubling of rooms, partners will be notified early to make other arrangements.