PALLIATIVE CARE SERVICES
Improving the lives of patients and families facing serious illness.
Approximately 90 million Americans are living with serious and life-threatening illness, and the number is expected to more than double over the next 25 years with the aging of the baby boomers. In response, SwedishAmerican Health System has a dedicated palliative care program, which aims to relieve suffering and improve the quality of life for patients with serious illness.
Palliative care is provided by an interdisciplinary team that works closely with a patient’s primary care doctor. A key goal of the program is to ensure that patients do not suffer from uncontrolled physical, psychological or spiritual symptoms. SwedishAmerican’s palliative care team includes palliative care physicians, advanced practice nurses, pharmacists, social workers, chaplains and massage therapists.
Specialists from our board-certified palliative care team are available at the request of attending physicians to assist in coordinating and managing the care of hospitalized patients. This may include:
- Helping with strategies for easing pain and other symptoms such as nausea, fatigue, depression and anxiety
- Promoting communication between patient, family, and medical team about the goals and coordination of care
- Participating in difficult decisions about the use of medical procedures and technology
- Emotional and spiritual support for you and your family
- Helping choose the most appropriate setting for a patient to receive care
The palliative care program supports patients of ALL kinds at any stage of illness. When appropriate, palliative care can benefit those who are hospitalized for serious illness, regardless of the prognosis. Palliative care is covered by insurance in the same way as other inpatient services. If you feel palliative care may be appropriate for you or your loved one, please contact SwedishAmerican Palliative Care Services at (779) 696-4175.